I obtained my Master's Degree from the University of Pisa in 2005, then I received my PhD from the IMT Institute for Advanced Studies in Lucca with a thesis on the use of Web3D technology and GIS for assessing the archaeological risk in the alluvial coastal plain of Pisa . As a visiting PhD I spent a research period at the University of Oxford. Between 2009 and 2012 I had collaborations both with Archaeological Superintendence of Tuscany and the University of Pisa. In 2013 I joined Lund University where I have been involved in several research projects and fieldwork activities conducted in Sweden, Italy, Greece, Egypt, and Lebanon. My research focuses on the way digital technologies can improve landscape and site interpretation and how 3D spatial analysis can contribute to investigating the sensory dimension of the ancient space.
- 3D Antiquity
- Above Landscapes and Beyond Places. Using high-definition digital topographies to understand long-term landscape change
- An ancient cityscape and its people – A study of ancient Hermion
- Blue Archaeology. Assembling the cultural and natural heritage of submerged Stone-Age Seascapes in Sweden
- Iron Age Blekinge I: Västra Vång
- Järnåldersarkeologi Blekinge II: Övärldens långtid och rum
- 3D GIS: a Research Platform for the Development of New Research Methodologies for the Documentation and Analysis of Archaeological Sites.
- eSSENCE@LU 3:7 - Using high performance computing resources for the record and analysis of cultural heritage sites
- Exploring Pompeian Graffiti in 3D Space (research leader)
- Space and Movement in a Pompeian house: the contribution of 3D GIS (research leader)
- Using High Performance Computing Resources for the Record and Analysis of Cultural Heritage Sites
About the research
My research interests lie in the field of digital technology applied to archaeological research. My primary focus is GIS and the use of spatial analysis to face specific research issues (predictive modelling, visual analysis, cognitive perception in the ancient landscape). Part of my current research is focused on the development of a 3D-GIS to manage the dataset related to the insula V 1 in the context of the Swedish Pompeii Project, with the aim of testing some spatial analysis techniques inside the reconstructed virtual environment. I am also involved in other research projects in which the combined use of digital methods is tested to improve the quality of data analysis and interpetation.
- Landeschi, G. (2009). Modelling the Risk: a Web-based approach. Using Virtual Reality for assessing the archaeological potentiality in an alluvial coastal plain. VDM Verlag.
- McPhillips, S., Bradbury, J., Faiers, C., Abu Laban, A., Landeschi, G., Lindgren, S., Kennedy, M. & Rabo, A. (submitted). The Hinterlands of Batrun : a preliminary report on archeological survey on the lower Nahr al-Jawz, North Lebanon. Bulletin d'archeologie et d'architecture libanaise.
- Hansson, A., Hammarlund, D., Landeschi, G., Sjöström, A. & Nilsson, B. (2019). A new early Holocene shoreline displacement record for Blekinge, southern Sweden, and implications for underwater archaeology. Boreas, 48, 57-71. Taylor & Francis.
- Landeschi, G., Apel, J., Lundström, V., Storå, J., Lindgren, S. & Dell'Unto, N. (2019). Re-enacting the sequence : Combined digital methods to study a prehistoric cave. Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences, 11, 2805-2819. Springer.
- Landeschi, G. (2018). Rethinking GIS, three-dimensionality and space perception in archaeology. World Archaeology. Taylor & Francis.
- Dell'Unto, N., Landeschi, G., Apel, J. & Poggi, G. (2017). 4D Recording at the Trowel’s Edge : Using Three-Dimensional Simulation Platforms to Support Field Interpretation. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, 12, 632-645. Elsevier.
- Landeschi, G., Dell'Unto, N., Lundqvist, K., Ferdani, D., Campanaro, D. M. & Leander Touati, A.-M. (2016). 3D-GIS as a Platform for Visual Analysis : Investigating a Pompeian House. Journal of Archaeological Science, 65, 103-113. Academic Press.
- Landeschi, G., Nilsson, B. & Dell'Unto, N. (2016). Assessing the damage of an archaeological site : new contributions from the combination of Image-based 3D modelling techniques and GIS. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, 10, 431-440. Elsevier.
- Campanaro, D. M., Landeschi, G., Dell'Unto, N. & Leander Touati, A.-M. (2015). 3D GIS for Cultural Heritage Restoration : a 'white box' workflow. Journal of Cultural Heritage, 18, 321-332. Elsevier.
- Dell'Unto, N., Landeschi, G., Leander Touati, A.-M., Dellepiane, M., Callieri, M. & Ferdani, D. (2015). Experiencing Ancient Buildings from a 3D GIS Perspective : a Case Drawn from the Swedish Pompeii Project. Journal of Archaeological Method and Theory, 23, 73-94. Plenum Press.
- Landeschi, G. & Carrozzino, M. (2011). Communicating Archaeological Risk with Web-based Virtual Reality: a case study. Internet Archaeology, 31. Department of Archaeology, University of York.
- Ducci, S., Firmati, M., Grandinetti, G., Landeschi, G. & Ricci, S. (2010). Campo nell’Elba (LI). Isola di Pianosa: sepolcreto di Cala S. Giovanni, campagna di scavo 2009. Notiziario della Soprintendenza per i Beni Archeologici della Toscana, 358-360.
- Ducci, S., Firmati, M., Grandinetti, G., Landeschi, G. & Ricci, S. (2009). Campo nell’Elba (LI), Isola di Pianosa. Indagini nel sepolcreto di Cala San Giovanni. Notiziario della Soprintendenza per i Beni Archeologici della Toscana, 268-273.
Conference contributions (14)
- Vassallo, V., Landeschi, G. & Hermon, S. (submitted). Digging in excavation diaries: digital re-assessment of stratigraphy in 3D GIS. The sanctuary of Ayia Irini, Cyprus. Proceedings of the Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology (CAA) international conference, 19- 23 March 2018, Tübingen, Germany.
- Landeschi, G. & Carrozzino, M. (accepted/in press). Detecting and Communicating archaeology in the Pisa coastal plain : new tools to reach this aim. In Hesnard, A. & Pasquinucci, M. (Eds.) Atti del Convegno Internazionale Porti antichi e retroterra produttivi (Livorno 2009).
- Derudas, P., Dell'Unto, N., Landeschi, G. & Callieri, M. (2019). Dig it and Dig it again.
- Landeschi, G. (2019). Back again to GIS? The need of mapping multisensoriality.
- Landeschi, G. & Richards-Rissetto, H. (2019). Empowering Archaeology of the Senses through digital approaches.
- Landeschi, G., Apel, J., Lindgren, S. & Dell'Unto, N. (2018). An exploratory use of 3D for investigating a prehistoric stratigraphic sequence. Proceedings of the 44th Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology Conference, CAA 2016 Oslo, 29 March—2 April 2016.
- Landeschi, G., Nilsson, B. & Sjöström, A. (2018). Submerged sites under threat : Defining new strategies for their monitoring and preservation.
- Landeschi, G., Dell'Unto, N., Ferdani, D., Leander Touati, A.-M. & Lindgren, S. (2015). Enhanced 3D-GIS : Documenting Insula V 1 in Pompeii. In Giligny, F., Djindjian, F., Costa,, L., Moscati, P. & Robert, S. (Eds.) CAA2014 21st Century Archaeology : concepts, methods and tools. Proceedings of the 42nd annual conference on computer applications and quantitative methods in archaeology (pp. 349-360). Archaeopress.
- Lundqvist, K. & Landeschi, G. (2015). Graffiti and dipinti in 2D and 3D GIS. In Rajala, U. (Ed.) Archeologia e Calcolatori : Italic Inscriptions and Databases (Roma 2014) – Documentare l’archeologia 4.0: strumenti e metodi per la costruzione di banche dati territoriali (Bologna 2014) (pp. 25-27), 26. All'Insegna del Giglio.
- Lundqvist, K. & Landeschi, G. (2014). From CIL to GIS : Exploring Pompeian Inscriptions through an Integrated 2D-3D Approach. In Orlandi, S., Santucci, R., Casarosa, V. & Liuzzo, P. M. (Eds.) Information Technologies for Epigraphy and Cultural Heritage : Proceedings of the First EAGLE International Conference (pp. 487-487), Collana Convegni. Sapienza Università Editrice.
- Landeschi, G. & Carrozzino, M. (2013). A 3D model for detecting and communicating the archaeological risk. In Contreras, F., Farjas, M. & Melero, J. (Eds.) CAA2010: fusion of cultures: Proceedings of the 38th Annual Conference on Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology, Granada, Spain, April 2010. Archaeopress.
- Bezzi, A., Bezzi, L., Landeschi, G. & Naponiello, G. (2012). To dare with OSAR : Open Source and Augmented Reality for a new cognitive archaeology. MapPapers, Opening the Past : Archeological Open Data. Pisa 9/06/2012, 3, 93-93. Pisa University.
- Landeschi, G. & Carrozzino, M. (2009). Managing the Archaeological Risk through Virtual Reality. XXII CIPA Symposium : Kyoto, Japan, 11 October-15 October 2009. Proceedings. The International Committee for Documentation of Cultural Heritage (CIPA).
- Landeschi, G. (2008). A predictive model applied to the Pisa Coastal Plain : Preliminary results. CAA 2008 Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology - On the Road to Reconstructing the Past - Program and Abstracts, 293-293. Archaeolingua Foundation.